6. November 2008

Zum ersten Mal seit 1941: Licht

RightWingBob versucht auf seinem Blog - mangels youtube-Video - herauszubekommen, was Bob Dylan am US-Wahlabend bei einem Konzert zum Thema des Tages gesagt und gemeint hat.
Ein Konzertbesucher berichtet ihm per e-Mail:

Since I was at the show, I’m hoping that I could add a bit to your understanding of the comments Dylan made on election night.

What seemed to prompt him to talk to the crowd more than anything was Tony Garnier’s donning of an Obama button. It was Tony’s turn to be introduced and Bob started to chuckle a bit and said something like, “Tony Garnier over there wearing his Obama button (raises his eyebrows)... Tony thinks it’s gonna be an Age of Light (chuckling)... Well I was born in 1941, the year they bombed Pearl Harbor. Been living in darkness ever since... Looks like that’s all gonna change now (chuckling a bit).” Then he broke into “Blowin’ In The Wind.”

I cringed a bit at the time, not being sure what he meant, and knowing what the media would do with it: “Obama supporter Dylan says Change Coming.” I was 50-50 on whether he was making fun of the hopes and expectations of Obama supporters, or joining in. Which of course is his genius, but I found it interesting that my friend sitting by me who voted Obama took it as a clearly sarcastic slam.

Hopefully that sheds a bit of light on the comments. In any case, it can’t be left out that what prompted the comments was Tony’s Obama button. Apparently 17 years of service earned Tony the right to wear the button, but he didn’t escape some ribbing from the boss for it.

Keine Kommentare: