31. Dezember 2007

Jahresendgedicht


Joseph Brodsky: May 24, 1980

I have braved, for want of wild beasts, steel cages,
carved my term and nickname on bunks and rafters,
lived by the sea, flashes aces in an oasis,
dined with the-devil-knows-whom, in tails, on truffles.
From the heights of a glacier I beheld half a world, the earthly
width. Twice have drowned, thrice let knives rake my nitty-gritty.
Quit the country that bore and nursed me.
Those who forgot me would make a city.
I have waded the steppes that saw yelling Huns in saddles,
worn the clothes nowadays back in fashion in every quarter,
planted rye, tarred the roofs of pigsties and stables,
guzzled everything save dry water.
I've admitted the sentries' third eye into my wet and foul
dreams. Munched the bread of exile: it's stale and warty.
Granted my lungs all sounds except the howl;
switched to a whisper. Now I am forty.
What should I say about life? That it's long and abhors transparence.
Broken eggs make me grieve; the omelette, though, makes me vomit.
Yet until brown clay has been crammed down my larynx,
only gratitude will be gushing from it.

(Aus dem Russischen ins Englische übertragen vom Dichter selbst, gefunden bei Fire of Spring via Hannes Stein; eine Übersetzung ins Deutsche hatten wir hier schon mal verlinkt.)

"Und bis sie mir den Hals mit braunem Lehm vollstopfen,
wird nur Dankbarkeit daraus hervorquellen."

In diesem Sinne ein gutes, gesegnetes Neues Jahr 2008 ringsum!

3 Kommentare:

FingO hat gesagt…

Dasselbe Dir! Gottes reicher Segen begleite Dich ins neue Jahr!

Harki hat gesagt…

Danke! Dir auch einen guten Rutsch und einen guten Start in gesegnetes neues Jahr!

Martin hat gesagt…

Gottes Segen für 2008!