29. Juli 2011

McLuhan und die Kirche II

Aus dem gleichen Interview, aus der gleichen Quelle

»I don't expect to be comfortable. The Church has never told anybody that it is a place of comfort or security in any ordinary psychological sense. Anyone who comes to the Church for that purpose is wrong. There is nothing of that sort available in the Church. There never has been. No, it isn't that kind of institution. At the speed of light there is nothing but violence possible, and violence kills every boundary. Even territory is violated at the speed of light. There is no place left to hide. It becomes a church of the soul.

Christ said: "I do not bring you peace but the sword." The church as the custodian of civilized values and so on - that church is all over, I'd say. We are on a life raft. That sort of survival operation. (...)

I have never been an optimist nor a pessimist. I'm an apocalyptic only. Our only hope is apocalypse. (...)

Apocalypse is not gloom. It's salvation. No Christian could ever be an optimist or pessimist; that is a purely secular state of mind. I have no interest whatever in secular institutions as places to have a nice or a bad time. I don't understand that kind of mentality. I guess it has taken me quite a long time to get to this state; it didn't happen overnight.«

Keine Kommentare: