15. Dezember 2005

R. S. Thomas: The Absence

It is this great absence
that is like a presence, that compels
me to address it without hope
of a reply. It is a room I enter

from which someone has just
gone, the vestibule for the arrival
of one who has not yet come.
I modernise the anachronism

of my language, but he is no more here
than before. Genes and molecules
have no more power to call
him up than the incense of the Hebrews

at their altars. My equations fail
as my words do. What resources have I
other than the emptiness without him of my whole
being, a vacuum he may not abhor?

[Es ist diese große Abwesenheit,
die ist wie eine Gegenwart, mich
zwingt, sie anzureden ohne Hoffnung
auf Antwort. Sie ist ein Raum, den ich betrete,

den gerade jemand
verließ, Vorhalle für die Ankunft
eines, der noch nicht kam.
Ich bringe den Anachronismus meiner Sprache

aufs Laufende, doch ist er nicht mehr da
als zuvor. Gene, Moleküle
haben nicht mehr Macht, ihn
herzurufen als der Weihrauch der Juden

vor ihren Altären. Meine Gleichungen
versagen wie meine Worte. Welche Mittel
habe ich noch als die Leere meines ganzen Seins
ohne ihn, ein Vakuum, das er wohl nicht verschmäht?]

Keine Kommentare: