2. April 2007

Das Gedicht zum Palmsonntag

G. K. Chesterton: The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.
In der Übersetzung von Walter A. Aue:
Der Esel

Als flog der Fisch und schritt der Wald
und Feige wuchs am Dorn,
unter der blut'gen Mondsgestalt,
da wurde ich geborn.

Mit Monsterkopf und schrillem Ruf
und Ohren flügelgleich:
die Parodie der Teufel schuf
vom Tetrapodenreich.

Zerlumpt, geächtet rundherum
in falschem Volkes Joch;
Verlacht, verpeitscht mich: Ich bin dumm,
doch stumm verbleib ich noch.

Narr'n! Meine Stunde kam zuvor
mit hellem, holdem Gruß:
Hosannas barsten mir ins Ohr
und Palmen mir zu Fuß.

Keine Kommentare: